Monday, December 04, 2006

Wanting to cross Borders

I am in the final strech of Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point. Before that, I heroically (yes, heroically!) finished Sophie's World. FYI Bloggie, these are rereads. And yes, my CDs are screaming for new company. This is bad.

*-*-*


It's just horrible to think that I haven't been to Borders for months now. The only upside to this sorry revelation is that there's gonna be a lot of new stuff waiting for me. I don't think I will be disappointed. Not by a long shot.


*-*-*

Not Too Late by Norah Jones
The album will come out in January 2007 yet. Nothing can be better than knowing that this upcoming release contains 13 all-original compositions, either by the Norah herself or in collaboration with her fellow bandmates.
I've heard Rosie's Lullaby and Thinking About You. Thankfully, the voice, fragile and powerful at the same time, is still there. Really, everything in the world is gonna be all right.






The Beatles Love

When I think of how I ended up being a fan of arguably the most influential band on earth, I can't help but go back to the days when, as a kid, I kept on hearing my male cousins playing nothing but Beatles songs on their cassette player each and every day. Actually, it was not a 'cassette player', it was something they made from scratch, with the 'cassette tape' more like a white, unmarked VHS tape, only smaller. Whatever. I remember finding myself humming Beatles songs going home from their place where Ria, their sister, was my childhood frienemy.

I was, and still am, a closet fan. I have buried my love for the band in the deepest recesses of my mental closet. But every time I hear their songs, I want to stop what I am doing, go to the store and buy their album.




Celtic Woman A Christmas Celebration Deluxe Edition
I was mindlessly flipping through the channels when I heard melodies which struck me as the closest approximation of angels singing high up in the heavens. KQED was airing Celtic Woman: A new Journey and the owners of the wonderful voices were six, err five because the sixth one was a fabulous violinist, fine Irish ladies. They were performing at a castle in Ireland, quite a fitting venue for the exceptional voice they possess.




The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain

He is everything you wouldn't imagine a chef to be but in my book, he is cool. Period. I liked him instantly on A Cook's Tour and No Reservations. I fell for him after reading Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour.

He is prone to dishing out profanity in his shows, he is an unrepentant smoker, he has done drugs, he eats anything - and I mean anything - in search of, well, a perfect meal. If the accounts in his books are any indication, man, he's been through hell and back many times over. This same devil-may-care attitude does the trick for me. How many men - and a chef at that! - manage to be bad without even trying and get away with it?





The Innocent Man by John Grisham

It might be borne out of my childhood dream of becoming a lawyer, but eversince I got hold of The Firm, I always found myself waiting for John Grisham's new novel. One marvels at how he always managed to translate labyrinthine legal jargon into something layman, something that would not make you want to keel over from boredom.
According to the flap, The Innocent Man is his first attempt at nonfiction work. I guess that is reason enough for me to get a hold of this book soon!

No comments: