Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Found out about me


There is this scene in Runaway Bride where Ike (Richard Gere) was accusing Maggie (Julia Roberts) of not even knowing how she wanted her eggs done. I was dumbstruck. If I were in Maggie's shoes, I would have had exactly the same reaction. Is there something wrong with her? Or me, for that matter?

After weeks of car pooling and stopping by Starbucks to get our daily coffee fix, my friend couldn't help but ask why I chose different types of hot coffee every so often. It just puzzled him why I couldn't choose vanilla latte and stick with it. Is there something wrong with me?

I listen to almost all types of music. I am equally comfortable with Ella, Billie, Norah, Adam, Sergio, John, Rob, Enya, Ne-Yo…I could go on and on. Now, my friends here got more than a peek of my eclectic taste in music when they rode with me in my car. They wondered aloud how I could fully appreciate each genre. But I truly could. Is there something wrong with me?

There are other things. Like food! I couldn't convince anyone that I only liked Japanese food if it would save my life. They knew that I was always on when it came to trying out cuisines from, well, wherever. Is there something wrong with me?

Is it weird - or worse, wrong - not to have just one specific preference when it comes to food or music or coffee? Is this some kind of a psychological dysfunction which manifests itself in my ever-shifting taste in practically everything? One friend went as far as saying that that was probably the reason why I couldn't make a relationship work. Ouch.

You tell me, Bloggie.

You see, my sense of achieving 'normalcy' is rooted on my want to discover, experience or taste what the world has to offer. Very high sounding, yes, but that is the only way I can explain it.

Like the famed Mt Everest climbers always say: It is there. Go figure.

No comments: